Tuesday, May 10, 2011

i am autotelic ! 

It interests me. It is the source of satisfaction. Achieving something that one thinks is important. Without such a consciousness or motivation it seems to me that life could be rather dull and purposeless and I wouldn't want that kind of life. Of complete leisure, say, of having absolutely nothing to do that one felt was worth doing - that strikes me as a rather desperate situation to be in.

Needs few material possessions and little entertainment, comfort, power, or fame because so much of what I do is already rewarding. Because experiencing such flow in the things I do, in life, when interacting with people, when eating and even when alone with nothing to do, I'll be less dependent on the external rewards that keep others motivated to go on with a life composed of dull and meaningless routines.

More autonomous and independent because I can't be easily manipulated with threats or rewards from the inside or the outside. At the same time, being involved with everything around me and therefore be fully immersed in the current of life.

To be totally absorbed in what I am doing and to enjoy it so much that I don't want to be doing anything else. That is what I really need.


Finding Flow: The Psychology of Engagement with Everyday Life by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. Go read it. 

No comments: